What To Do If You Find A Pet
There is nothing more heart breaking than witnessing a pet dodge cars in the middle of an intersection, having a pet show up at your back door, or follow you on the trail.
First consider the safety of the animal and of yourself. If you feel uneasy about the situation, stay away and notify local animal control authorities.
1. Call Boone County Animal Control, 573-449-1888 and the Central Missouri Humane Society 573-443-7387 to inquire if a Lost Report has been filed, and report a Found pet. You may also request Animal Control pick-up the animal.
If you would like to pursue finding the owner instead of relinquishing the pet to Animal Control;
2. Take the pet to the nearest veterinarian’s office or shelter to have the animal scanned for a microchip. A microchip is an identifying device the size of a grain of rice placed under the skin.
3. Check Craig’s List for lost pets on Lost & Found. Create a Found post. Include; date, location, detailed description, contact information, and most importantly a photo.
4. On Face Book? Post on Facebook a picture with description and contact information. Ask your friends to share.
5. Post information also on, Columbia, Missouri Lost and Found Paws page on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/ColumbiaMOLostFoundPaws
and Central Missouri Humane Society Lost & Found page,
6. Make flyers with FOUND across the top with photo and contact information. Post at nearby intersection and entrances of subdivision where the animal was found. Place one in your front yard!
7. FREE FOUND ads in the Columbia Tribune 573- 815-1855.
8. Place a Found ad on Nextdoor.com
Callers claiming ownership should be able to identify markings on the pet not listed in your post or flyer to ensure the pet is being returned to its rightful owner.
Thank you for your efforts and caring for our furry friends!